Here is the birthday cake I said I was making! It was fun to figure out how to make it and it was just as much fun to eat. As a recap, I made it for my son’s birthday. He loves ice cream cakes and I decided to make my own ice cream and cake version and I thought it would be fun to add in some candy. I have seen the idea of using kit kat bars on Pinterest, so I did that and I used mini Hershey bars and I chopped up kit kat bars on top. I also added in a bag of M&M’s to the ice cream.
- 2 layer round cakes
- 1/2 a carton of your favourite ice cream
- large container of Cool Whip (I used chocolate)
- candy to decorate with (I used mini bars)
- I believe I told my readers that I wanted to use a brownie in my cake. I worried that once it froze it would be too hard to cut through so I changed my plan. Instead I made a cake and since I didn’t have a cake mix, it is a homemade chocolate cake.
- I froze the cake once it was cooled and then I cut it to even off the top
- I used my son’s favourite ice cream (cookies and cream) and I let it soften and then I used my hand mixer to further soften it up. That worked really well. Then I added a bag of M&M’s. The colours in the candy bled which I didn’t expect!
- I lined the same size round cake pan with plastic wrap and put the softened ice cream in it. Then I put it in the freezer for about an hour. Once it is firm you can stack it in between the cake layers.
- Use a knife to blend the ice cream into the cake edges and work quickly!!! then put it back in the freezer.
- Once its chilled again bring it out and ice it with Cool Whip, I used Chocolate which was fun! then chill again.
- Have all your stuff ready to decorate the top when you get your cake out and you will have to work quickly so it doesn’t melt too much.
- Freeze until it is time to eat.
*** Something to think about is what kind of plate you put it on. I would have liked to use a pretty plate but since it had to go in and out of the freezer I decided to use my Tupperware cake carrier. Sigh…not as pretty but practical!
So there you have it! We enjoyed this cake but I think I would have enjoyed a higher quality of ice cream! , maybe some fudge sauce in there might have been nice too! I wonder what else you could “ice” it with other than Cool Whip? I guess we won’t know until I try it all again another time!
Thanks for visiting my blog today! See you next time.