This recipe from Picky Palate caught my eye when I saw it involves Junior Mints which are a new favourite of my Daughter’s. I decided to give this recipe a try to bring to our monthly potluck at work. If you want to see great photos of the process, check out Picky Palate’s Blog link. http://picky-palate.com/2013/10/23/double-chocolate-junior-mint-and-chip-cookies/ I was a bit apprehensive when she mentioned oozing mints that might stick to the pan, but I did what she suggested and I used parchment paper and I used a plastic spoon to reshape the few cookies that oozed (when they are first out of the oven) It all worked out quite well.
I included a few slight changes when I made them here:
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 ounce box Junior Mints for in the dough and a few more to put on top if you wish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F’ and line a large baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla mixing to combine. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, mixing to combine. Stir in chocolate chips then Junior Mints. I cut all the mints in half to go into the dough and I used my hands to make sure it was all blended up well. Chill dough for an hour or so for best results.
- Use a spoon to scoop the dough and place it 1″ apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until baked through. Please note, if mints ooze out of cookies, use a plastic knife to form cookies back to round shape right out of the oven when hot. Set a junior mint on the top of the cookie when it comes out of the oven. Let cool before transferring to cooling rack.
Makes 2 dozen cookies
Here is the little sign I put on the plate of cookies at the luncheon!
These turned out to be a great cookie! The people from work enjoyed them and so did my family! If you love the minty chocolate of a Junior Mint, then you will certainly love these!
In my part of the world I have the day off of work and the sun is shining and the temperature will be warm. That is a great start for a Monday! I hope you have a great Monday too!