I made these close to Easter time, using spring coloured M&M’s. What a great idea it is to make chocolate chip cookies in a muffin pan! I loved the idea and I could hardly wait to give them a try. These are a big cookie, so you only need one!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip plus M&M Cookie Cup Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup light brown packed sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups of M & M’s – your choice of colour!
- Preheat oven to 350’F and spray a 12-count standard-sized muffin pan extremely well!
- Browning Butter: In a heavy-bottomed medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat,while stirring . The butter will melt, foam, turn clear, golden, turn brown, and will then smell nutty. As soon at the butter begins to turn brown, take the pan off the heat, and continue to stir for about 1 minute, to ensure carryover heat doesn’t continue to cook and subsequently burn the already browned butter.
- Pour butter into large mixing bowl and allow it to cool slightly so you don’t scramble the egg.
- Add the egg, sugars, vanilla, and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and stir until just mixed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the M&M’s.
- Scoop dough equally into the 12 cup muffin pan. The cookies don’t rise too much so it’s okay if muffin pan seems rather full.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or just until tops have set and are golden, taking care not to over bake because they will firm up more as they cool. Allow cookies to cool in pan for at least 20 minutes before removing them. I used a spoon to gently help scoop the cookies out of the pan. Serve immediately. Cookies will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
This recipe is based on this recipe from http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/01/browned-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie-cups.html
They were really delicious so I highly recommend them! I even froze half of them and just brought them out yesterday.